Wednesday, July 11, 2007

sacrifice

another report from The Star newspaper few weeks back

Mother’s sacrifices rewarded

By DERRICK VINESH

PENANG: Supporting a child in a private medical college can be a costly affair. The burden is even heavier for a single parent.

Kolej Tunku Abdul Rahman's Centre for Continuing Professional Education director Leong Eng Yee exhausted her life savings to fulfil her daughter Judith Wong Ju-Ming's dream to pursue medicine.

“When Judith was four years old, my husband died from cancer. He left us some money, but I still had to work to make ends meet.

“I made lots of sacrifices. Among them was to continue driving the same old car for 15 years. But it was worth the effort.

“Now, I hope that she (Judith) will help take care of me when I grow old,” said Leong after Judith received her scroll at a Penang Medical College's ceremony at a hotel here yesterday.
Leong said she also sponsored the studies of her other daughter Adele, 36, and son Kenneth, 26, who pursued their higher education in Britain and Australia respectively.

Judith, 24, was among 92 students who completed their final examinations and were conferred medical degrees from the National University of Ireland.

They spent their first year in Penang and the next two-and-a-half years at the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland (RCSI) or University College Dublin (UCD) for pre-clinical studies.
They returned to Penang for their final two-and-a-half years of clinical studies.
Judith said the course fees and living expenses for the six-year programme totalled RM500,000.

“Basically, I was looking for a profession that I would not feel bored with after 20 years of practising.

“To me, medicine was the most interesting and exciting course to do.

“Words cannot describe my gratitude to my mum for the many sacrifices she has made to raise my two siblings and me and to see us all through college,” she said.
Judith, who was the student valedictorian, also received the UCD-RCSI overall best student award and the Malaysian Medical Association (Penang branch) prize for best student in Medicine.


i came across this article the other day and it looks really familiar to me.
not the girl, but the situation.

it's almost the same situation how my mom alone getting me into a private medical college
*she should have put me in PenangMedicalCollege to make it sound more alike... hehehe!

if there's one reason why i want to do well in my studies, that would be for my mom.

still remember how mom brought both of us (my and fred) up, giving us the top most priority, making sure that there's food in front of the TV (we don't eat on the dining table. like what Vincent would say, KL PEOPLE!!!), making sure that there's a shelter and a comfy bed for us to sleep at night, making sure that all the bills are paid on time, making sure that we get a full education of our choice

some extra points: making sure that Flippy is clean, well-fed and do her poo poo every morning, making sure that i'm not nervous during public speaking competition, making sure that we have enough junks to eat, making sure that i eat the nasi lemak she bought for me for breakfast after i wakes up in the afternoon, making sure that fred get a chance to go to aussie since i've been there once.

mom always tells us, "my ultimate purpose is to give you all a full education. and once you all can support yourselves, i'm done! and it's for you all to decide what to do"

hello, if sacrifice (big sacrifice i mean) is not the word for this, then what else?

sometime it's true to say that a single moms are very strong. she is one of them.

by the way, make it clear, my father is still around, don't misunderstand. it's complicated.

so people, love your parents, because they love you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

parents.. they r awesome.. remarkable.. the amount of sacrifices they've made are often invisible.. But the outcome is shown in us..
-angel-